Primary School’s Sports Funding
At Thompson Primary, we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of the children. We believe that a varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children.
Our Primary School Sport’s Funding will enable us to continue and extend our provision through employing additional sports professionals, providing additional training to our staff and entering into more competitive sports competitions.
Through the additional sports funding, we aim to engage all pupils in vigorous exercise for sustained periods, improve the skills and knowledge of all who teach PE and sports, challenge all children including the more able, make fitness health and well being a priority and to ensure all children leave Thompson Primary being able to swim at least 25 metres.
for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What is the Sports Premium?
The government is spending over £450 million on improving physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools during 2013-2015. The extra funding is being allocated directly to primary Head Teachers.
Each school will receive £8,000 plus an extra £5 per pupil each year for the next two years. Here, at Thompson Primary School that will mean around £8,375 a year. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of the funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits
To see the report on our current sports funding click on the file below.